Sunday, February 21, 2010

O, Canada

Is anyone else enjoying the Olympics lately? Unfortunately, I've been sick since Thursday (yuck) with a bad cold. I've slept more than an entire day this weekend (yes, that's more than 24 hours), but I'm starting to feel much better today. During my waking hours, I've had a chance to watch some events, including ski jumping, the men's super g, ice dancing (are they serious? I didn't know this was a real sport, and even though I tease about it, I'd love to be able to do it), and hockey. I normally wouldn't watch so much t.v., but I have had zero energy. What normally would have been an energizing, fun shopping trip to Target left me exhausted.

So instead of adventuring out this weekend (sigh, so frustrating...), I've been catching up on the Winter Olympics (and doing some work on my research project). The question that has been on my mind the entire weekend is, "What Olympic sport would I be able to compete in?" (The real answer is none at all, but let me dream!) After last weekend's stunts, I'd say I have a chance in the super g slalom race.

My next question is how some people get into these various sports. For example, the luge. Where is the closest luge track? Can you rent a luge? This isn't something you can practice in your backyard. And ski jumping. When did jumping four stories in the air to twist and turn sound like a good idea? I mean, the landing is considered decent if you can just manage to land on your feet and not tumble over. I do admire the athletes that are competing. They train extensively, most of them without financial support, and put it all on the line during the games.

I just finished watching the U.S. versus Canada hockey game- so intense! I posted this picture in July, but hockey always reminds me of it, which reminds me of my Dad. :)



Guess I've liked hockey since a young age.

I'll try to do better on writing this week- hopefully I'll be able to stay healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment