Sunday, October 18, 2009

Running in the Rain

I woke up at approximately 5:00 am this morning to get ready to leave for my mini marathon in Newport. I had heard the weather wasn't supposed to be great this weekend, but I was crossing my fingers that it would hold out until tomorrow. Wrong. The weather in Newport: 40 degrees, "gusting winds" (I am not making that up), and rain. I don't know about you, but somehow driving over two hours (both ways) to run 13 miles in cold, rainy, and windy weather just doesn't make sense. Instead, I had a bowl of cereal and started catching up on some projects for work.

I am a little disappointed that didn't go today but not heartbroken about it. (I hope not everyone thinks I am lame for not going...) I think I am most proud of the fact that I kept up with my training for over 2 1/2 months. I've definitely learned a lesson in planning, though. Next time I'll sign up for a mini marathon that's in late spring/early summer.

Until then, I think I need a new gym routine. I don't want to get bored doing the same thing all the time. (Come to think of it, I never really loved running.) I've saved a bunch of workouts from magazines over the years, so I'm going to look through those and see what might work for me. As for today, I think I'll run at least a few miles on the treadmill in honor of the mini. And yes, it is still raining...

No comments:

Post a Comment