Monday, January 11, 2010

This Is Your Song

So many things have happened since I wrote a decent blog post that I don't even know where to start! Since I know some of you may be looking forward to seeing some recent pictures, I think I'll work in reverse chronological order.

After only one week in Rhode Island, I flew home Friday night for the Indiana School of Medicine annual St. Vitus formal. (Note: When Nick and I went to Europe this past June, we visited Prague Castle, which houses the St. Vitus Cathedral that the dance is named after. When we arrived to tour the cathedral, there was over a 2-hour wait! We decided to check out another history exhibit and revisit St. Vitus afterwards. When we came back, there was a sign on the door stating "Closed early for a special event." You have got to be kidding me! Thousands of miles away from home, and it is closed on the day we visit.) Nick invited me to go last year, and I had an absolute blast, even though I didn't know that many people. Two of my very best friends were going to be there, and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get dressed up. (I mean, how often do you get to do that any more? Most weddings don't lend themselves to semi-formal attire, at least around here.) Chelsea's husband, Kyle, started medical school this fall, and June, who is in her third year of school, transferred to the Indy campus to complete her rotations.


Here is a picture I took of St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague- isn't it beautiful? I still can't believe I took this myself... it looks like it belongs on a postcard.

Nick in front of St. Vitus

Here I am pouting on the steps... looks like we'll have to make another trip to Prague!
I didn't have to think twice about what I was going to wear. About a year ago, my Grandma M gave me a dress that was hers from the 1950's. There are only two female grandchildren on that side of the family (Katie, you can always borrow it if you'd like to!), so I didn't have to put up a fight for it. Toula, the lady who has been doing alterations on my dresses since I was a junior in high school, did an absolutely fabulous job on the dress. The top had to be taken out, the zipper replaced, the bow fixed, etc. The dress was in great shape, and I wanted to make sure whatever we did wouldn't compromise its integrity.


The finished product...
Before the dance, Nick and I headed over to Kyle and Chelsea's house for dinner. Considering the type of event, one might assume that we had a formal meal... wine, steak or chicken, some kind of cooked vegetable, and another starch. When I talked to Chelsea, though, we decided that having margaritas and a taco bar would be much more fun! We opted not to get dressed up until after dinner to avoid any fashion emergencies or break downs (except for Nick, that is... apparently he doesn't spill or at least thinks he's too cool to join us). Naturally, I had left my camera at Nick's apartment during dinner, but I'll post Chelsea's pictures when she sends them to me.
St. Vitus is held at a different location every year (third years on the student council plan the event). Last year it was held at the Indianapolis Public Library, which might sound a bit strange but was actually a great venue. This year it was at the Indiana Roof Ballroom. The last time I went there was for a Brian Setzer Orchaestra concert more than 10 years ago. It is designed to look like a European village, complete with stucco walls and balconies. I think my two favorite features are the giant wooden dance floor (hello, decals!) and the second floor balcony that is accessible to guests. You can read about some more of the Roof's history here. I tried to take pictures of the room, but my camera didn't do the lighting justice (or maybe it was a user error!). Either way, I've included some pictures taken by professionals.


The second floor balcony adds a touch of romance


The ballroom set up for a wedding- I love the dramatic lighting


I only include this demonstrate how crazyy I am when it comes to certain things. (I'm not sure that crazy is the correct way to describe my behavior but that will have to do for now.) For example, taking a picture of the wooden floor. (Decals, anyone?)


We had a wonderful time talking, dancing, and laughing with friends. Without further ado, here are the rest of the pictures from the night...

Doesn't Nick look handsome?
Chelsea wore a floor-length, light pink dress, which was absolutely stunning.
Lana and Aakash working the dance floor

David, Nick's roommate, has classic style- reminds me of Frank Sinatra, Harry Connick, Jr., etc.
Chelsea, June, and yours truly (I am so jealous of June's haircut- she wears it so well)

I can't take him anywhere...

... except to the dance floor
I know it might look like it, but I am not naked! (I'd blame this on the photographer, but I don't remember who took it.)

What a gorgeous couple- I love that you can just tell how happy they are together from this picture
Stealing a kiss on the dance floor...

No, they are not in a gang... Celebrating 4 years of med school (Well, technically Nick is at 3.5, but who's counting)

And my favorite picture from the whole night (I think David snapped this one when we weren't looking).....


At the end of the night, without anyone noticing, Nick and I went to the center of the dance floor and sang each other one of our favorite songs...

How wonderful life is while you're in the world...

2 comments:

  1. My brother sings??? :)

    Love your dress...Purdue colors...he he

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww what a neat evening .... wait.... Nick sang??

    ReplyDelete