Sunday, September 27, 2009

Dancing With Myself

Today I have been unusually productive... I deep-cleaned the kitchen, scrubbed down the bathroom, finished piles of laundry in my room, wrote five cards, and put a dent in the stack of papers on my desk. You might wonder, "Why has Sarah been so productive today?" I was thinking the same thing when it hit me...

The music! I had put on iPod on my soundock and started a playlist full of songs that I love to sing along to when I'm working. I first made the playlist when I went over to Monica's new house to help her paint. (The title of the playlist is "Monica." So creative.) I wanted to include songs that most people would know and love (not that I mind singing by myself, I do that all the time). I've never been the greatest singer... I'm frequently off-pitch, can't control my volume, and occassionally mumble through some of the words. I always wanted to be better at singing growing up, but it just wasn't something built into my genes. But I think I do one thing that is more important than anything else... I always sing with my heart. (A little sappy, I know, but it's true.)

Here are some of the songs I was belting out in my apartment:
  • Counting Crows- Mr. Jones
  • Billy Joel- Uptown Girl
  • Billy Idol- Dancing with Myself
  • Bob Seger- Old Time Rock N' Roll
  • Tom Petty- Runnin' Down a Dream
  • The Police- Every Little Thing She Does is Magic
  • The Beatles- Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
  • Simon and Garfunkel- Cecilia
  • Martha Reeves and the Vandellas - Nowhere to Run
  • Mr. Big- To Be With You
  • Cyndi Lauper- Time After Time
  • Maroon Five- This Love
  • Aha- Take on Me
  • Rick James- Super Freak
  • Michael Bolton- How Can We Be Lovers
  • Michael Jackson- Thriller
  • Toto- Hold the Line
  • Paolo Nutini- New Shoes

Does anyone remember the movie "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids?" There's a scene in the movie where the older sister in the family is cleaning the kitchen and singing into the broom, only to find out that her cute neighbor is watching her. If you know me, I'm sure you can see me singing into a broom, too.

1 comment:

  1. Nice list! My friend and I always made these kinds of CD's for each other (I'm dating myself) :-)

    ReplyDelete