Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

Last night Debbie and I both went to Fenway Park for the first time. I don't think I've ever been to any major sporting event or concert where I've entered the lowest concourse and actually had to walk *down* the stairs to get to my seat. (We were in Row L, which, unless there were additional rows without labels in the very front, means that we were only 13 rows away!) We ended up having to get the usher to move some punk kid in our seats, but it wasn't a big deal. Right when we sat down, Pedroia hit a home run! (Click here for a video and the full story.) What a way to start my first Boston Red Sox game...
America's Most Beloved Ballpark...
The Green Monster
Debbie and I living the dream (too bad those people are in the way!)

There was lots going on during the game. We had to pay close attention when left-handed players were up at bat because the ball could have come right at us. Thankfully, I didn't have to use my amazing coordination skills (read: my middle name is definitely not Grace), but we also didn't get a foul ball- maybe next time. I mean, what can I expect? Free tickets in amazing seats, good stadium food, and a foul ball? That's probably asking a little too much. Plus, lots of music during the whole game... players' walk out songs (very interesting, this could be a whole different post; what would yours be?), the organ playing catchy little tunes, sing-a-long songs between innings (those songs that make everybody feel good).
Lisa, I decided this one to you (Sweet Caroline... ba ba ba!)
Batter up!

Speaking of food, who doesn't love stadium food? I swear that no hot dog I've ever made at home tastes as good as the one I had last night did... huge, soft bun (it reminded Deb of Wonderbread) and spicy mustard (similar to the Boar's Head mustard that Nick and David use)- yum! I also had a box of Cracker Jacks, and I was so into the game that I forgot about my favorite part-- the prize inside! (Confession: I also had a little plastic helmet filled with chocolate soft serve ice cream! Looks like I'll be doing some extra time in the gym this weekend...)
Sporting events (and dress-up, fancy events) are a great place to people-watch, if you're into that sort of thing. There are all kinds of people there... kids who want to grow up to be baseball players, families out for the night, businessmen and their clients, couples on a date, people just visiting the city, etc... the list goes on and on. I guess my main point is that sports brings people from all walks of life and socioeconomic classes together for the same cause. Another of my favorite types of people to see are the pairs or groups of older guys or couples that you *know* are regulars... the ones who come to every game, keep score in a playbook, and know all of the players names, yet they sit very relaxed, as if they don't have the need to announce to the world that they are world's best fan.
It's also interesting to see what people wear to a baseball game. Some businessmen come straight from work, wearing their pinstripe suits and loosely-knotted silk ties. There was an older gentlemen several rows in front of us who wore a vintage Red Sox shirt that was in a Hawaiian-style pattern but with Sox paraphernalia. As for Deb and I, the most comfortable outfit invented in the fashion world to date... a t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. Nice. Too bad I didn't have a Red Sox sweatshirt- Troy said that he saw us on t.v.!!

The Red Sox went on to beat the Baltimore Orioles 10-0. The win was very exciting, but more than anything, I just loved my first experience at Fenway, and hopefully it won't be my last.
Can't help but laugh at myself for this one... That is a silly (and cheesy!) grin

No comments:

Post a Comment