Monday, November 16, 2009

One Day at a Time

If there is one thing I definitely don't like about New England, it is all of the Patriot fans. Because it is the only NFL team for several states, it has quite the fan base. (Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island...) T-shirts, bumper stickers, hats, and other paraphernalia serve as constant reminders that I am in enemy territory.

As soon as I knew I was moving to Rhode Island, I had been looking forward to November 15- The Patriots vs. The Colts in Indy. I wanted to go home for the weekend to go to the game, but I would have had to take today off because the game was so late. When I was running errands over the weekend, I worse my #18 jersey on both Saturday and Sunday. I got a few remarks, but I was surprised no one said anything particularly mean to me. (No offense to my friends here in Rhode Island, but many of the peole I have encountered here aren't really that friendly.)

I sat down to watch the game and was working on Christmas presents (it will be here before you know it!). By halftime, I was glad that I had something to distract me from becoming upset. The Colts were *not* playing well- I was surprised the score differential wasn't greater than what it was. Interceptions, missed tackles, blah blah blah.

Then, like many times before, Peyton begin to work his magic. Two successful drives down the field brought the Colts within 6 points. After the Patriots missed the chance to get a first down on 4th and 2, I could hardly keep from jumping up and down. I had managed to stay fairly quite throughout the game, but I knew that might not last long. When we scored our final touchdown, I cheered so that every one of my Patriots-loving neighbors could hear me. (I normally would have felt a little guilty, but I felt it was necessary. I mean, once or twice a week my neighbors fight so loudly that I have to put on headphones in order to be able to fall asleep- it's ridiculous.)

I couldn't wear my jersey to work today, but I wanted to do something to show my Colts pride. I brought in my jersey and hung it up on the second chair in my cubicle. I am the first desk in the department (which is a very high traffic area), so Patriots fans that walked in and out all day had to look at my jersey.

When Nick and I went to the game the weekend before last, there was one thing that stood out to me. At the other end of the stadium, a large white sheet hung down over the padded area where large men jump up into the crowd after they score a touchdown (I don't know the technical name!). Spray-painted in blue, the sign read, "One Game at a Time." I'm not sure why I became so sentimental about it, but it reminds me of why I love Indianapolis. I've spent most of my years wanting to leave Indiana without really knowing why (well, for starters, there's no water). Now that I've moved away, I have come to appreciate the city (and especially the people) for what it is worth to me. Right now I am planning on moving back next summer, but who knows where I'll eventually end up. For now, I think I'll just take things one day at a time...

This is definitely one of my favorite pictures I've saved over the years

1 comment: