Wednesday, November 11, 2009

One Game at a Time

I can't believe it is already the middle of November and that Thanksgiving is only two weeks away! Five months have passed, and there are still so many things I want to do. I've been fighting a cold/exhaustion/etc for the past week, but I still managed to fly home Friday to spend a long weekend in Indy.

On Saturday, my mom and I went to McNamara's in Carmel. They have gorgeous Christmas decorations every year, and even though we've gone almost every year, they still manage to come up with new ideas. My favorite tree this year was covered in silver, glittery ornaments (I love anything sparkly!). If you are ever looking for a good florist in the area, I highly recommend them.


Our favorite tree this year had a Sock Monkey theme!

My mom really liked the felt and knit poinsettas


How cute is this reindeer?


This would be so fun for a kid's room

I spent a little bit more time at home... My mom was working on invitations for a wedding, so I try to help with a new perspective. After you look at one thing so many times, you start to run out of ideas. (Well, at least I do.) While we were looking at the invitations in the dining room, Izzie (our golden retriever) and Rocky (the ancient cat- he's 17) were standing at the door looking at something together (note: this is rare- they usually don't get along). Izzie was almost pawing at something, so I decided I had better take a look at what was going on. I saw something brown and skinny and then shouted, "Mom! I think there is a snake in the door!" She thought I was crazy, but when we went to look, there was a snake inside the door! Mom was going to save the snake to show Dad and Ryan by trapping it between the glass storm door and the real door, but I convinced her that might not be the best idea. The last thing we need at that house is a snake running loose in the halls... When Mom first tried to get it to move, we thought that the snake was injured. Just a second later, we learned it was playing dead when it moved so fast it startled us (well, me, for that matter- I screamed). Mom successfully got the snake outside just a minute later- whew! Izzie and Rocky were both very excited about their recent encounter with another creature.

On Saturday night, Nick made my *favorite* appetizer before we went out to dinner. Almost a year ago (December 1), Nick and I had our first official date. We made dinner together (read: Nick made me dinner and I attempted to help) and then went to a Jon McLaughlin concert at the Murat. He made his signature baked goat cheese appetizer for the first time that night, and I have been hooked ever since. It's very simple, but oh so good. I've tried to re-create it since I've moved out to Rhode Island, but it just isn't the same. Here's the basic recipe...

Baked Goat Cheese Appetizer

-1 log goat cheese
-minced garlic (the kind in a jar)
-diced pecans
-balsamic vinegar
Toast the pecan pieces until slightly brown. Roll the goat cheese in the minced garlic. Cover the cheese with a large amount of the garlic. Next, put the pecans over the garlic. Bake the goat cheese for approximately 15 minutes at 325 degrees. Remove the cheese from the oven and put on a plate. Pour balsamic vinegar over the baked goat cheese. Enjoy!
You can spread the cheese onto whatever you like, but we like to put in a loaf of half-baked bread and serve the cheese with warm bread. Be sure to use a high-quality balsamic vinegar- it will make a noticeable difference if you use something without flavor.


A view of the Soliders Monument on the circle downtown at night
On Sunday, Nick and I went to the Colts game against the Houston Texans. Last winter, I was working at a pharmacy with Joe, the pharmacy manager, when he told me that he had an extra pair of Colts tickets. He was going to call a friend to see if he knew anyone that would want the tickets, but before he could pick up the phone, I told him I would gladly take them off his hands! (*Note: At this point in the year, I did not know I was going to be moving to Rhode Island to be a pharmacy resident. My brother and I were originally planning on splitting the tickets- they are not cheap!- but he has been able to go to most of the games since I have moved here. The only other game I'll be able to make is in December against the Jets.) This was my first time in the new Lucas Oil Stadium. The weather was gorgeous on Sunday (I could have worn a skirt!), so the retractable roof was open. The Colts won 20-17 after the Texans missed a field goal in the last minute of the fourth quarter.


Here's a view of the city skyline from the stadium



Helicopters flew over the roof after the National Anthem but I didn't get my camera out in time to get them in the picture


Because Peyton Manning uses audibles (calls plays on the fly), the stadium is quiet when we're on offense and LOUD on defense- the differential is amazing


Manning always picks up his leg before the center hikes him the ball



I thought this was another decent action shot


I don't think Nick has had this many pictures taken of him in a long time



My favorite picture- see the story below

Like most guys I know, Nick isn't crazy about having his picture taken. Like most girlfriends, I want a picture of us for everything we ever do or go to together. We already had the first picture of our faces, and I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I wasn't going to make Nick wait for someone else to take our picture with the stadium in the background. After the game, we were walking out of our section when we saw a couple having their picture taken with the field in the background. I told Nick that we didn't have to get one this time, and we kept walking. When we got to the next level, he pulled me into the concourse and asked a security guard to take our picture just because he knew that's what I really wanted. Maybe no one else thinks this, but I thought it was very sweet of him.
Lisa just moved back to Indy from Dallas, so I visited with her on Sunday night, and she took me to the airport on Monday afternoon. She will be starting a new job in an emergency room next Monday and hopefully closing on a house soon after that- how exciting! I haven't seen a picture of the house, but it sounds like it fits her just right. Can't wait to take pictures of it and maybe help decorate!

*Happy Veteran's Day. A special thank you to all of the men and women who have served our country. I feel very blessed that we have people willing to sacrifice their lives to protect our country's freedom.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm...expectations are getting high, I'm gonna have to turn it down a few notches =)

    ReplyDelete