Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Beating My Heart

It's hard to believe that Nick and I went on our first date one year ago today. Here is my account of story...

We had talked several times on the phone but hadn't had a chance to get together. Even though we were both busy, I called to see if he would be up for going to a concert with me (It was a Monday night, so I wouldn't have been shocked if he was on call or overnight at the hospital). I was thrilled to find out he would go and wanted to grab dinner before the concert.


Jon McLaughlin was playing at the Murat, and I had been thinking about going for a few weeks. (I think it was Chelsea who introduced Jon McLaughlin to me, but I can't be sure.) His first big break was singing the song "So Close" for the Disney movie Enchanted (I'm not sure the movie was that great, but it was still a break nonetheless). He is originally from Anderson, IN, which makes me like him that much more- he even has a song about Indiana (if you listen to it and are wondering, yes, it does make me cry). He had just released a new album entitled "OK Now," and I absolutely *loved* the CD. You can watch the video of his first son to be released from the CD, "Beating My Heart" here.
Nick suggested that we cook dinner at his apartment, and I was surprised to find out that he loved to cook. For an appetizer, he made baked goat cheese spread, and I instantly fell in love! (with the goat cheese, that is! He still makes it for me every time I come home.) For the main course, we had breaded chicken breasts, salad. and fresh fruit.

It was my first concert at the Murat (I know, can you believe it? All those years in Indy, and I've only been to one concert there!), so I was a little unsure of what to expect as far as seating goes, which was only listed as "open" on the ticket. After getting drinks, we sat in the middle of the room for a couple of songs, (It was a little hard to talk because it was so loud, but I guess that wasn't too big of an obstacle) but when my favorite song came on, Nick and I went up to join the crowd. We laughed, danced a little (more like swaying I think), and sang (well, that was just me). It was a wonderful night.

As a memento of the past year, I made Nick an accordion book and gave it to him when I was home at Thanksgiving. I picked up the accordion book kit at Paper Source when my mom and I went to Boston and then got the rest of the supplies at Jo-Ann's and a local scrapbook store I just discovered. I used two sheets of handmade paper to cover the chip board covers. Before gluing the back end of the paper to the chip board, I added a piece of ribbon to close the book, then glued the second end of the paper to the other board.
Here are a few pictures of the accordion book...

The front cover... I still need to work on my bow-tying skills
Here is the book on Nick's kitchen (kind of) table. The finished product is fairly wide...
...and takes up most of the table when spread out vertically as well.

Nick and Sarah: The Best of 2009


This is a picture from the St. Vitus dance last January. Erica took this picture and caught Nick looking at me (how sweet).


This picture from Jon and Myra's wedding in Fort Wayne. It was the day after we got home from Europe- guess we didn't get sick of each other on vacation!


The picutre on top is my favorite in the book by far- David took it at the Rathskeller. It captures our personalities perfectly. (I'm sure he said something ridiculous or was teasing me.)



The last picture is from my trip home at the beginning of November. You can read about this picture's story here.
It's hard to believe it's already been a year! I am very thankful that Nick has been so supportive of my adventure here in Rhode Island (we had only been dating six months when I left)... I am a very lucky girl

3 comments:

  1. Nice job! I love the cover paper and the bow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww... wow that book is really cool . good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete