Sunday, May 9, 2010

BEST. CONCERT. EVER.

Every Thursday, I get "The Weekly Round-Up," an e-mail from Rhode Island Monthly with various to-do's around the state. They have anything from concerts to art shows, petting zoos (I'm not kidding, there was one this past weekend!) to local festivals (i.e. Newport International Boat Show). I hadn't made any weekend plans, so I thought I'd take an extra close look to see what was going on over the weekend. I was a little disappointed by my options (ex: the petting zoo) until I saw option #5: RODRIGO Y GABRIELA!!!

I love all types of music, but it is usually my brother that ends up introducing me to new genres and/or groups. Ryan introduced me to Spanish bacchata several years ago (when we were still at Purdue), followed by Rodrigo y Gabriela some time after that. There are no vocals to any of their music (with the exception of a few yells here and there during live music)- just two acoustic guitars.

So, needless to say, I bought my tickets in less than five flat after I say they were going to be in Providence. The concert was at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel, which is sort of a combination bar/concert venue. It has some seats right in front of the stage, as well as some in the mezzanine level. There weren't any seats left by the time I bought my tickets, but general admission was fine with me. (I mean, let's be serious... no way I'd be able to sit down and not dance during the concert!)


Some information on the duo, courtesy of iTunes:

Guitar heroes from Mexico via Ireland, Rodrigo Sanchez and Gabriela Quintero have been dazzling fans internationally since the release of their Rodrigo y Gabriela album in 2006. Armed with only a pair of acoustic guitars, the duo creates a full, energetic sound. Rodrigo covers leads and melodies, while Gabriela’s specialty is harmony, rhythm, and guitar-based percussion.

Before they became the most visible flamenco duo of the early 2000s, guitarists Rodrigo Sanchez and Gabriela Quintero bonded over heavy metal while growing up in Mexico City. They combined their talents for a time in the metal group Tierra Acida, playing around D.F. in the roughest clubs the city had to offer. Though they recorded some material, Tierra Acida never hit it big, and an album was never released. Instead, Sanchez and Guintero concentrated on learning more guitar styles, teaching lessons during the day and playing bossa novas in hotel bars at night. Bored and frustrated with their chances in the Americas, the two decided to try their luck in Europe instead.

Rodrigo y Gabriela traveled to Dublin, where a friend had offered them a place to stay. The musicians spoke no English, carried little money, and upon their arrival found that their offer of European hospitality had vanished. The pair soon turned toward busking on the streets on Dublin, a move that enhanced their reputation and helped land several contacts. Among their new found friends was fellow busker Damien Rice, who soon asked them to accompany him on tour. The Mexican duo had, by this time, developed a large repertoire of original material in a variety of styles, and they released their debut record with 2003’s Re-Foc. A concert album, Live: Manchester and Dublin, followed one year later.


Rodrigo y Gabriela became the newest fixture of the world music circuit, known for their nimble-fingered guitar work and diverse background (few flamenco guitarists could boast a background in metal music.) Their third album, Rodrigo y Gabriela, was released in 2006 and debuted atop the Irish charts, beating out Arctic Moneys for the number one spot. They continued to tour, making their way through Japan and America, and 11:11 expanded their discography upon its 2009 release.



Below are some of the pictures I took at the show, followed by a few short videos. (Don't worry, I wasn't one of those people that holds their phone/camera/whatever up to film the entire thing, how annoying.) Just like anything else, it's difficult to capture the whole experience in a picture or video clip, so take them for what they are worth. The last video is my favorite song, Tamacun.

After a few songs, Gabriela talked to the crowd for a bit. There's nothing better than watching people who are extremely talented and loving what they get to do, but even better yet, still thankful for every opportunity they have to play.

Every time I had a good shot, someone with an enormous head got in the way.

They played a short set (between all of their songs) with the intro act- one of the songs was by Pantera. How crazy is that?!


During a couple of slower songs...


My favorite picture from Friday's concert

If you ever have the chance, you *have* to see them in concert! For those of you in Indy, they are going to be at The Vogue on May 13!!!

Enjoy the videos!


















No comments:

Post a Comment