Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kisses and Castles

While searching for my new craft objects of desire (dresden trim and paper cut-outs), I somehow discovered a store called "Castle in the Air." It is a small, family-owned business in California that carries specialty craft items, not your run-of-the-mill Michael's or Jo-Ann's. (Not that I don't love those stores, but sometimes you have to step out of the box to find new ideas.) They carry dresden trim, German glass glitter, sheet paper (gorgeous Italian marble and other fine prints), calligraphy supplies (my next big adventure), and some miscellaneous items.

I've never considered myself a romantic. In fact, one day I was hanging out with Chelsea, and I don't remember how the subject came up, but for one reason or another I denied being a romantic. I can't recite her words verbatim, but it was something like, "You have got to be kidding me!" I think I mainly denied being a romantic because of fashion magazines.... you know, they have four different types of styles, such as classic, modern, romantic, and bohemian. If I have to place myself in one of those categories fashion-wise, it definitely isn't romantic (although I do love to get dressed up). But outside of clothing styles and perfumes (not a huge floral person), I'd guess I fall into the romantic category because I love love.

Anyways, while looking through their holiday section, I fell in love with a few Valentine's Day pieces. The two books shown below are reprints of short paperback books published in the early 1900's. I'm not sure what I will do with them yet, but a time will come when they are just what I need. I have turned old books into scrapbooks before, which can be just lovely. These books are substantial enough for a scrapbook, but they could definitely be part of one.

I love the subtitle, "How to Win a Lover." The book is filled with relationship rules, but it also has a section that details the meanings of flowers.

I can't wait to read this section, which includes "lovers' quarrels," "love-letter writing," and "women men dislike."

"The Book of the Kiss" is filled with quotes and short stories.

I also bought this screen printed card. I think alphabet cards and posters (especially in children's bedrooms or playrooms) are charming... Growing up, my brother had one that was hand-embroidered. I have a full set of alphabet cards from Martha Stewart crafts hopefully I'll put to use someday.

Below are pictures of the new tablecloth I bought last weekend....

A bouquet in a corner of the piece

A close-up of the cake and present

The middle of the tablecloth has several repeating phrases, including "good luck," "happiness," "congratulations," and "best wishes."

This is 1/4 of the tablecloth. I haven't measured it yet, but it should fit on a medium size square table.


I think I'll be helping my Mom make some wedding invitations when I go home for Memorial Day, and I will be sure to take pictures to share with you- she is so talented! Hope everyone is having a great week. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment