Tuesday, May 4, 2010

P-Town

Last weekend I spent some time in Provincetown (aka P-town), a town on the very tip of Cape Cod. Almost everyone I had talked to said to make sure I checked out this area when I mentioned I wanted to do some traveling around the Cape. It is definitely a free-spirited town- very friendly to alternative lifestyles and lots of local art. During the kayak tour, I made friends with a group of people my age that were also visiting the area for the weekend. I met up with Brett, Faith, J.J., and Luke in Truro (rhymes with "churro") for dinner. (Luke's parents have a house in North Truro- thank goodness I had my GPS, or I may never have found it... very peaceful wooded area.) After kayaking they had picked up seafood to make a boil- corn, sausage, shrimp. They also had lobster (cooked separately). Luke was trying to kill the lobster before putting them into the water (I've been told that they make a noise that sounds like screaming) by cutting part of their head, but the knife was pretty dull and wasn't doing the greatest job. Yuck.

After some bocce ball and more cooking, we sat down for dinner. I didn't give them too many details about my picky habits, but they knew I wasn't huge on seafood. However, I did manage to try a piece of lobster. Luke gave me a piece of the claw, which I think is supposed to be one of the best parts. Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan.


Sweet corn is in season somewhere around here (much earlier than Indiana)


J.J. attacking the lobster


The aftermath

After dinner (and some serious clean-up), we headed into Provincetown to hang out with the locals. We decided that we'd play a game of cards...I don't think we ever really finished what we started. Luke was trying to teach us cribbage, but we weren't very focused students.


Okay, so I couldn't get everyone to pose for the camera... sometimes candid photos are the best

How about these poker faces?

On Sunday, I met back up with them so we could see more of the town. Our first stop was one of the most interesting stores I've been in over the years. The artist uses old metal scraps to create sculptures, but these aren't just any old run-of-the mill pieces. I mean, I've seen birds made of shovels and metal flowers, but nothing compares to this man's talent. He had spiders that were bigger than me! Below are a few of his pieces... (If anyone can remember the name of this place, please let me know! I'm not sure that I even saw a sign...)


A lighthouse that doubles as a birdhouse

There were lots of metal flowers and lawn ornaments (where else would you put a giant bird, fish, or spider?). A restaurant in the middle of town had a custom fence made of his flowers and grasses.


The ship weather vane was my favorite by far

Like many small East Coast towns, there was a lot of unique (at least to me) architecture and landscaping. You'd never know that there were gardens tucked away behind people's homes unless you looked. I really liked that the town was walking and bike-friendly. We stopped on the main "strip" for a bite to eat at Spiritus Pizza, a must if you are in P-town. It was a *wonderful* place to people (and dog) watch- everyone seems to congregate in this area when the weather is nice, and they bring along all kinds of dogs.


I liked the gated entrance to the door of this house. You can't see it in the picture, but the portico overlooks into the ocean.


Charming, isn't it?


How about this view while you're eating dinner outside on your deck?


I absolutely loved this- I'm sure people thought I was crazy when I stopped to take a picture. The sign reads and I quote: "Burn fat, not gas- walk/bike"


Thanks for a fun weekend, P-town!

No comments:

Post a Comment