Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Weave Mill

"In 1807, Samuel Slater helped start the American Industrial Revolution by creating the first village whose sole aim was to produce textiles. As the centerpiece of that village, the mill complex that stands today, made up of the Spinning, Weaving and Center mills, was built in 1826. Each building provides a thoroughly modern living experience infused with unequaled historical authenticity. With sturdy wood beams and exposed brick throughout the homes that attest to the site's notable beginnings."


It is the oldest standing textile mill that remains intact in the United States. The buildings are actually very intersting themselves. Old pieces of machinery flank the hallways, and pictures of the working mill over the years line the lobby. My apartment reminds me a little bit of my brother's old apartment in the Harness Factory Lofts downtown.



There are 3 different buildings that house apartments on the property: The Spinning Mill, The Center Mill, and The Weave Mill. The Center Mill looks a little bit like a school (below).



I live in the Weave Mill, which is the two-story brick building you see below. There are two floors of apartments of vairous sizes, and the building also houses the mail room, the lounge, the media room, and the workout facility--that will definitely come in handy during the winter! Pictures of the building exterior and the facilities are shown in order below.

Last night I managed to finish putting together a set of file drawers for my desk, and I'm hoping to finish the dresser and bookcase tomorrow night. Until then, here are a few pictures of some parts of my apartment. (No, I am not going to start with the outside again!) Don't you just LOVE the giant "S" on top of the cabinets?! My mom got it for me at White River Salvage in Indianapolis. I went there with Monica a couple of months ago, and she fell in love with the place! If you live in the area, like beautiful old things, and don't mind bargaining and searching, you will LOVE this place! They have an old Otis elevator that I would love to buy, but a) I don't know what I would do with it and b) I don't have an extra $15K laying around.




The "S" is from an old neon sign. The bulb doesn't work inside it, but I think I'll try putting Christmas lights in and/or around it in a bit. I have been looking for one of these forever! Thanks, Mom! Here is part of my living room:


Another HUGE thank you to my brother, Ryan, for letting me borrow his flat screen t.v. for the year! I promise that I will bring it back in one piece. More to come later... Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. hey Sarah ! My mom sent me your blog.
    Before I even started reading, the first thing I noticed was the giant "S" in that picture, and thought "hey, that's cool, I wonder where she got it?" :)

    Hope you're adjusting to your new home!

    ReplyDelete