Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ladies and Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!

Hope everyone is having a nice short week- hard to believe it is already June! After tomorrow, I will only have four weeks left of work (not that I'm counting down), and I know they will go quickly. I've giving a short presentation tomorrow (an easy one- it's about me), an intense one Monday (practice run) and Wednesday (45 minute live CE presentation- speaking of which.. pharmacists, don't forget to get your CE credits by June 30!), and a journal club presentation (the risk of fractures when taking a PPI) the following Monday. On top of that, I worked an extra shift in the stores on Tuesday night, and tomorrow I'm working the overnight shift (I've never actually done this, so I'm interested to see how it will go).

Last weekend I went back to Indy for the long weekend. Well, I didn't actually make it for a long weekend.... I got to the airport on Friday night, only to sit there for almost two hours while my plane was delayed. Eventually they cancelled the flight (for some of us at least) because most people would have been stuck in Charlotte. I guess there were severe thunderstorms (they better have been severe!) down South. I woke up early on Saturday morning (4:30!!!) to catch a flight through Philidelphia to Indy and finally made it home.

Saturday was a family day. As you may have noticed, my mom's birthday was Friday. She and I worked on making wedding invitations for a friend during the day- I can't wait to show them to you. I forgot to take a picture (arrrg!) of them, but they are purple pocketcards with shimmery white invitations and grey and purple ink. The main invitation even has a purple gemstone! Purple isn't my favorite color, but these are absolutely gorgeous. If you were to buy these from someone who professionally makes wedding invitations, they would cost a small fortune (as much as I pay for my monthly rent!). I'll see if my Mom can send a couple of pictures my way to post on the blog.

On Saturday night, we met up with my brother to have dinner at Harry and Izzy's for Mom's birthday. (Not only do I love their food and service, I love the name... it makes me think of my Mom and our dog, Izzie- you could write a book about their adventures but a restaurant named after them is nice, too). We started with their St. Elmo's shrimp cocktail. If you are ever in Indianapolis, make sure you try this! But *beware*- it is hotter than Hades! I had a salad with pecans, julienne apples, and a vinegrette, but eveyrone else had either steak or lamb. Dessert was homemade strawberry shortcake with ice cream and whipped cream- yum! The strawberries had soaked into some of the shortbread just enough to soften it up and make it taste like jam. (Another picture fail- neither my Mom nor I remembered to take a picture!)

After dinner, my Dad, Mom, and I went to pick up my keys to my new apartment! I was lucky enouh to get the apartment I wanted (click here for my original post on apartment searching), which is right downtown. The place is huge- 2 full bathrooms, a walk-in closet, and another bonus room off the master bedroom. It also has wooden floors in the kitchen, nice countertops, and track lighting. My favorite feature of the unit, though, is the amount of windows- they are everywhere! There are two sets of bay windows- one in the bedroom and another in the living room, which gives you a great view of the city skyline. (I can also see my brother's apartment complex, which is only two blocks away. I liked my Dad's idea of stringing two cans together to have as walkie talkies.) I'm really looking forward to moving in!

Sunday morning I helped to make breakfast (blueberry pancakes!) and hung out around the house before heading to visit Lisa in Speedway! You have to be crazy to go to Speedway on race weekend- it is a madhouse! Luckily, I had some expert advice from a seasoned pro- I brought my Mom's bike (thanks Mom and Dad!). It was ten times easier to get around. (It was a little nostalgic for me- I felt like I was in junior high again.) Amy (who was visiting from Texas), Katie (another Speedway native), Lisa, and I spent the day lounging, catching up, and trying to stay cool. For dinner, we attempted to eat at Baxbeau's but got a little lost (we would get lost in our own city). Instead of eaitng at the restaraunt, we got carry-out and ate on the steps of Monument Circle.


A view of the Sailers and Soldiers Monument at night

I loved this picture- it is of one of the fountains downtown.... but when I showed it to Amy, Katie, and Lisa, all three of them made a sour face (like, what is this?!). Looks like I'd never make it as an artist!


Amy, Lisa, and Katie- had so much fun with you!


My turn! Hmmm...maybe I'll try to crop myself in the picture above....

On Monday, I slept wayyyyy in (a much needed three-day weekend luxury). After cleaning up and getting together my bag (as hard as I try, my suitcase of things ends up all over the floor by the time I leave- it doesn't matter how much stuff I have, where I am, or how long my trip is- it always ends up on the floor), my Mom drove me downtown to meet Nick for a late lunch (isn't she the best? So took me so that I could surprise Nick). We ate a Left Bank Cafe, a new restaurant on the canal. The food was okay, but the service was chaotic. I'd give them a couple of weeks to sort things out. When you do go, be sure to get a Nutella and strawberry crepe- amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment