Thursday, June 10, 2010

Shop 'Til You Drop

This year has taught me a lot about personal finances. No, I don't know the in's and out's of mutual stock options, hedge funds, or rollover 401k's, but I spent a good deal of time this year budgeting and mapping out my finances. You don't have to be a financial wizard to learn ways to save and spend your money wisely.

This year has also reinforced my love of finding a great deal. I remember clipping coupons out of the Sunday newspaper on my family room floor with good intentions of helping my Mom use them at the store. Coupon clipping is just one of the ways I have learned to save money this year. No matter how small something might seem, every little thing does add up in the end. Below are some of my "best practices" in savvy shopping.

*Before you do anything, create a free e-mail account that you use only for company coupons, sweepstakes, and other offers. This prevents your inbox from overflowing with "spam" and gives you the flexibility to check your inbox as often as you'd like. I've found that a lot of restaurants will send you a coupon for a free appetizer or dessert if you simply give them your e-mail. The same is true with clothing stores. Sites like Groupon or Tippr can also be useful if they are in your area.

*Coupons, coupons, coupons. If you look online, some stores will have coupons that you can print (but can only be used in their store) straight from the website. If you know someone who gets the Sunday newspaper, ask them if they use their coupons. Look for coupons/deals in free community newspapers or fliers that are near the entrance to the grocery store. Keep a small plastic expanding folder to hold your coupons. I try to either keep it in my purse or in the car for easy access.

*Sign up for loyalty programs. For example, I get most of my groceries at Stop n' Shop. For every $100 I spend in groceries, they take 10 cents off per gallon of gas that I buy. That might not seem like much, but do the math.... 14 gallons of gas per week x 52 weeks x 10 cents = $73 savings over the course of one year. Other companies will give you coupons based on what you buy in the store.

*Watch the store ads. If you don't get them in the mail (not signing up to get a newspaper = extra savings), sign up to receive them in your special e-mail account. I would also recommend shopping for groceries on Friday night if possible (very dorky but much more effective). This allows you to have the best pick of the sale items (especially with regards to produce and meat products that are on sale) *and* avoid crowds. If I go to the grocery store (or even Target for that matter) on another day of the week, I visit at night to avoid crowds and traffic, which allows me to go as fast as humanly possible down an aisle while still managing to fill my cart with the right items.

*Use store brands whenever possible. Many generic brands are made by the same company that produces the brand name product. For example, my company's brand of tissues is made by the leading brand name company that makes tissues. However, there are some times when you should not skimp, including peanut butter (nobody else does it like Jif), chocolate chips (proven in a taste test by my Mom), and barbecue sauce (only Sweet Baby Ray's for me!). That being said, I have found a couple of generic brands that I like more than the actual brand name. For example, the Malt-O-Meal version of Frosted Mini Wheats is crunchier, has more frosting, and is an amazing price.

*Free sample sites. Sign up for a daily e-mail from a blog that focuses on freebies and coupons. My favorite one this year is Free Snatcher- she does a fantastic job of providing her audience with deals and ways to even make money in stores. Two other great sample sites include Wal-Mart and P & G Brand Sampler. Free samples might not seem like they are worth it, but it adds up. I've probably gotten enough shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel to last me two months!! Plus, who doesn't love getting something in the mail? I usually forget that I have ordered a sample, and four weeks later I have a wonderful surprise waiting for me in my mailbox.

*Plan ahead. While you don't want to purchase something just for the sake of a deal, it is wise to anticipate your needs. If you can get something at little or no cost now and have the room to store it, why wait? If you don't have the room or don't need it, you can always give it to a friend, family member, or local shelter. You might not need something right this instant, but planning ahead is damage control. Maybe this is just me, but I am more likely to spend a higher price on an item that I need right away.

*Use your own reusable bag. Many companies now give you a small discount (usually 5 cents per bag) if you bring in a bag rather than use their plastic or paper ones. (Touted as earth-friendly but really focused on cost control.) If you use 4 of your own bags every week for a year, this adds up to $10. Again, it may only be $10 but that is $10 you can spend on something else.

*Keep your receipts. I've noticed stores getting much more strict about their return policies within the past few years. If you should have a reason to return something, this will prevent you from being reimbursed what the product is worth now. If you don't have a receipt, the company gives you its current selling price, which may be majorly reduced. Also be sure to understand a store's return policy before you purchase something you're not 100% about.

True story: last weekend I went to the drugstore to pick up some items. Between store sales and coupons, I only paid $6.89 for 2 boxes of Kleenex, a stick of deodorant, 2 full size bottles of John Freida (one shampoo, one conditioner), and a giant roll of paper towels. Normally, this would have cost me over $38!!! I had the biggest grin on my face when I left the store.

Hope these tips have helped inspire you to start saving money. If you have any great websites or ideas, I'd love to hear them. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go check my mailbox... I might have a sample waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment