Thursday, August 27, 2009

Run Up the Sail, Run Down the Shore

I started thinking about different exercise programs I could do a couple of weeks ago when mini marathons came to mind. I had initially planned on running the Indy Mini in May of 2008 but that plan was foiled. Just a month before the race I was playing in an intramural soccer game (I heart Rx United!), I collided with a vet student and hurt my knee. I'm not exactly sure what happened when he ran into me (I mean, of course it was all his fault!), but I do remember hobbling around campus on crutches. I was only on them for less than a week, but it was not fun... up and down stairs, in and out of the shower, in the dining hall. It was a miracle I didn't drop anything or hurt the other leg. (Sorry about that- I got de-railed for a moment.)






Rx United: Back-to-Back, Open Co-Ed League, Outdoor Intramural Soccer Champions!



Completing a mini marathon has been on my list of things to do for several years. It's not just about attaining and keeping physical fitness. For me it's more about mental strength. Once you get past 1.5 miles (well, it's that far for me anyways), the rest is all in your head. I am currently on week 3 of Hal Higden's training schedule, although I will have to shorten it a little bit. (Funny story- I was waiting to write about it until I was sure I could make it! Wouldn't want to count my chickens before they hatch.) I'm going to be running in the Newport Mini Marathon on October 18. The weather should be brisk but not cold, and the scenery will be beautiful. My only problem is that the website says you're not allowed to use iPod's, and right now I depend on it to keep me going sometimes (especially since I am not training with anyone else). So, I am either going to have to find a way to 1) hide the iPod or 2) learn to run without music. I also need to look into a local park... I have much run around Slatersville so much that people are starting to look at me funny, as if I were lost. I'll keep you updated as I progress through my training.



Tomorrow I have CPR training in the morning (it's required to give immunizations by my company... good idea if you ask me), and then I am taking the Indiana MPJE in the evening. Hopefully it will be my last pharmacy test for some time.



Other side notes: My favorite pair of black flip-flops broke tonight! I was going to get some gas (because, let's face it, there is no such thing as "running early" in my book) for the trip to Stoughton, MA tomorrow when I almost fell down in the hallway after the strap broke loose. I went back inside to get my other black flip-flops only to discover that I am missing the leftie! (Which stinks, because I can't even find them right now online- will try again later.) I've been told bad things happen in three's, so I'll cross my fingers that nothing happens to my shoes tomorrow. I may wear my least favorite pair just in case. (FYI- the first pair of flip flops links to J.Crew, who has some absolutely *gorgeous* shoes this fall. Unfortunately, I will only be looking this year. Click here if you want to have style envy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment