Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Rollin' on a River

For those that have been wondering.... Yes, I am still on dry land. In the past several days, Rhode Island has been experiencing the most devastating flood in over 100 years. I didn't realize it was that bad until 1. my boss couldn't even get out of her driveway because her street was flooded so badly 2. my parents said that flooding in Cranston (where I work in a pharmacy one day per week) was on the national news 3. I received a notice on my door from my apartment complex about being prepared for a flood and 4. I went down to Cranston today and found out that at least 2 of our stores are literally underwater (the water is all the way up to the drive-through window!!!).


Because I live in a historic former mill, my apartment is also on the water. There is a dam across the street, and then the river flows past our management office and one of the apartment buildings (not mine). Yesterday we were sent home early from work to allow people to reach their homes before roads were shut down. When I got back to my apartment complex, people were stopping at the apartment complex to take pictures of the flooding river... I thought I'd join them.
Here are some pictures I took yesterday outside my complex. It may be hard to really judge how high the water is, but trust me, it's getting up there....

What class of rapids would this be?
I don't know how high it is, but the water is at least halfway up the trees.
On apartment's management office sits right on the water
It's going to take a lot to flood this bridge... keeping my fingers crossed
This is the "little stream" that passes through the middle of my apartment complex
You can read about the storm from the Weather Channel here. Below are some of the pictures that have been submitted by residents from areas that are flooding.
Exeter, RI
East Greenwich, RI
Warwick, RI... this is just south of Cranston AND where the airport is located.... I hope they get things opened up before my Mom comes on Friday!
Keep you posted if anything happens. Until then, keep the families that have been evacuated or lost their homes in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment