Monday, March 22, 2010

The Search Is On...

While I was visiting Indianapolis this weekend, I had a chance to start my apartment search. (Note: When I say start, I mean looking at the apartments themselves. The truth is that I've had a 3-page spreadsheet for over a month!) Even though I'm not moving back until July, I wanted to get a head start to prevent scrambling at the end of my residency. Besides, the planner in me could not resist.

I'm looking to move into a one-bedroom apartment downtown. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or too large, but it MUST have a washer and dryer inside the apartment. This is the main limiting factor in my search, but I will not compromise on this one. I only scheduled 2 appointments to look at 3 different apartments- I am going to be back in April, and I didn't want to drag Nick all over town with me when I won't see him for 2 months.
It's always helpful to have someone else evaluate where you want to hang your hat before you sign a lease. For example, I looked at the apartments at Lockerbie Court. They weren't anything spectacular, but the location is perfect. However, there is one minor safety issue. Every apartment has a balcony that is connected to every other resident in the complex. The last thing I want to have is some creepy dude standing at the door that leads to my kitchen watching me. I know, it's not likely that would happen, but the potential for strange visitors would keep me on the edge. We also looked at the Ambassador apartments- this building, formerly owned by the Marion County Pubic Library, has been completely renovated. The apartments meet my basic requirements, but they are on the small side for what the rent is.
My favorite apartment is one that a friend's boyfriend just moved out of recently. I happened to be looking on Craig's List, and when I was looking at the post, I realized that those pictures looked very familiar! This is definitely my favorite apartment right now. There are a few others I'd like to look at in a couple of weeks, but if I had to decide now, this would be it. Here are some of the pictures from what I'd love to be my future apartment.


There are actually two full baths- this apartment is the result of a combination of two smaller apartments. Not that it's a big deal, but this way guests could use the first bathroom without going through my bedroom.

I heart pedestal sinks!

A walk-in closet complete with a washer and dryer



One of two sets of bay windows in the apartment- this picture is from the bedroom


The other set of bay windows- these are in the living room (yes, it has wooden floors!)


Here is the view from the previous bay window-it looks gorgeous when the city is lit up at night.


Isn't this a nice kitchen? I've never had an island in any apartment or house I've lived in before, but it's a great "gathering" place. Although it doesn't look similar, islands always make me think of the giant wooden chopping block/island my Grandma and Grandpa had in their kitchen.



I don't really know how to describe this- it's a gigantic walk-in closet off the master bedroom. It's big enough to hold a small army- almost the size of a small bonus room.

Well, what do you think? I am a little nervous that it will be rented before I move back, but I'm hoping to talk the office manager into holding for me if I start my lease in June. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment