Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Washington, Part I: D.C.'s Drunken Donuts

Last Thursday, Debbie and I flew to Washington D.C. for the American Pharmacists Association's annual meeting and exposition. This year's theme was "Inspire, Engage, and Influence: APhA Pharmacists Lead the Way." Unlike the ASHP meeting in Las Vegas last December, we didn't have to do any recruiting for the residency, which gave us a little more flexibility.

After much internal debate, I ended up purchasing a piece of rolling luggage the night before we left to use on the trip. It's funny- as far as luggage goes, I didn't buy anything fancy, but it felt like such a luxury! I've never owned any what I call "grown-up" luggage. The closest I've come before is a beautiful black and pink Vera Bradley set my mom got me, which is perfect for weekend trips but difficult to pack clothes for more than 3 days (at least for me!). I think I walked around Target for an hour before I decided to get it, and I am *so* glad that I did! The 360 degree rolling wheels are a must if you are considering buying new luggage.
After we landed in D.C., Debbie and I took the Metro (LOVE using public transportation!) to a stop near our hotel and walked just a few blocks to reach our destination. When we left the airport, the escalator going up to the Metro platform was broken, and we had to lug our bags up without any help. Now, I'm not in the greatest shape, but I do lift weights and work out fairly regularly. I thought my arm was going to FALL OFF!

We stayed at the Renaissance hotel in the Penn Quarter right across from the Convention Center. (Note: The Convention Center could have its own zip code- check out this floor plan... pretty sure I had to ask for directions every time I went to a meeting. The only exception- the general session. There were banners taller than me pointing the way.) There were a couple of things I really liked about the hotel: 1. They had lemon-infused water around the hotel. It was almost like lemonade without the sugar- it tasted so good! I mean, it wasn't anything complicated (well, I think so)- just a bunch of cut up lemons in a glass beverage dispenser (can't wait to get one of these someday!). 2. They had fresh flowers in the lobby- pomanders made of red carnations- they were gorgeous! Putting anything on display en mass creates a great visual effect. (Naturally, I did not take a picture... Sigh...) The hotel also had a great workout center. I meant well (I packed 3 workout outfits) but didn't make it there once! Good thing we were doing a lot of walking. When we got there on Thursday, it was warm enough for Debbie and I to go for a walk in shorts and sweatshirts- we went around the National Mall and beyond.
Here is an outside view of our hotel- the pictures I tried to take were ruined by the rain. This one is much prettier.
The Convention Center in Washington D.C.


Look at the size of this room! I have no idea how many it seats, but I was shocked when I walked in- definitely didn't expect that many people! (Note: I decided I might look funny just taking a picture of the audience, so I thought this one from their website would suffice.)

Now, I'm definitely not a self-proclaimed "foodie," but I did get to eat at some great restaurants. On Thursday night, Debbie and I went to a Spanish tapas restaurant we had found on our walk earlier that day. Apparently, La Tasca is well known among locals. I hung out with some friends that live in D.C. after dinner, and they knew what I was talking about before I could even say the name. The atmosphere was lively, the food was tasty, and the sangria pitcher was half-price. (They have over 10 types of sangria!) I had the bread with infused olive oil, shrimp, and the fried eggplant. Not necessarily the healthiest dinner, but it was just what I needed.

On Friday night, a vendor that works with our team for immunizations took a small group of us to Smith and Wollensky's, a steakhouse. I asked their waiter what came on their house salad just to make sure I wasn't going to end up with something I hated. However, I had a very difficult time understanding him, and the only words I caught were "honey Dijon dressing" and "croutons." I decided to take my chances- I mean, how bad can a house salad be? Well, let' s just say that it was less than ideal for what I had in mind- it was covered with apple wood-smoked bacon thicker than my thumb (it looked like raw meat to me), chunks of potatoes, and button mushrooms.

After everyone had finished their main dish (everyone but Deb got steak- the knives they handed out looked like it was made for a giant!), the waiter brought over the dessert tray, which was covered with the most delicious-looking sweets. My eye was drawn to the white take-out bag on the bottom tier, and the waiter introduced it as "Drunken Donuts." They make fresh, homemade donuts, shake them with powdered sugar in the bag while they are still warm, and serve the donuts with 3 liquor-infused jams. WOW- probably one of the best desserts I've had in quite a while. There were only 4 small donuts, but I tried to get someone else at the table to try them. No one did- they were all too full. At first I felt like the glutton of the group but that feeling didn't last long! Guess I'm the girl that's not afraid to get dessert even though no one else wants anything but finds the strength to finish it all by herself.



My drunken donuts! I am extremely tempted to make homemade donuts one weekend....

On Saturday night, we went with a different vendor to Matchbox: A Vintage Pizza Bistro. Mike has family in the area and has visited D.C. frequently for work, so he recommended this restaurant. From the outside, it doesn't look like much. In fact, it looks like a hole in the wall... but appearances are deceiving. When you walk in, you end up going a maze of rooms and levels. Over time, as their business grew, the owners just kept buying additional property and tearing down the walls. The architectural details are gorgeous- lots of exposed brick, tall ceilings, staircases, and a wood-fire pizza oven. The food was amazing, and, like La Tasca, it had a great atmosphere. I highly recommend it if you are ever in the neighborhood.


An outside shot of the restaurant


I love that the rooms are open and flow into one another
I'm sure the skylight is wonderful when the sun is out- their roof also has outdoor seating
Check back tomorrow to hear details of the rest of my trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment