Thursday, July 9, 2009

Hello, Sunshine!

Hello everyone! I'm sorry it's been a couple of days since my last post- time has been flying by! I have so many wonderful things to share with you! Today was either the first or second day without rain since I moved to Rhode Island two weeks ago! I was absolutely delighted that the sunshine lasted long enough for me to take a run outside when I got home from work. I took some pictures of Slatersville (a small part of North Smithfield, where I live) while I was out.

What a beautiful, classic Colonial home. It reminds me of the days growing up when I'd watch This Old House with my Dad on Saturdays. That, and Frugal Gourmet... This was before I even knew what frugal meant.

This picture is of an old 'meeting house' that looks like it might be used for a town hall or church now.



This one is definitely my favorite... it's an old school. You can't tell too much from the picture, but it is not in use anymore and has become rundown. Some of the windows on the side are broken, and weeds are growing in the parking lot. There's a sign in the side yard that states there is going to be some restoration done, so I hope they follow through.

Today I had the opportunity to participate in a meeting with a group of pharmacist that work in a department that oversees quality and patient safety. We went to downtown Providence to meet with a law firm our company works with for a variety of things. I didn't speak at the presentation (about 30-35 people), but I did get to take a small group (about 10 people) on a tour. When someone asked how long it was going to be, I wanted so badly to say, "A three-hour tour!" I wish I could tell you more, but l have to leave it at that... (sigh). After our meeting, I went for an early dinner with Deb and Troy at The Capitol Grille. We talked about residencies, networking, and went over some of the things that I need to do while I'm here for the year. Making a list of things to do/places to go while I'm here is still on my to-do list...

Also, I'm having some trouble with electronics! I tried to put in an exercise DVD last night (love Kathy Smith! Of all the videos I've done, she is the most realistic and motivating instructor. However, I do love my Paula Abdula dance video, too. Tough call.), but I couldn't even make the input button work! Boo! Hopefully I will figure that out tonight, along with fixing my Bose soundock and Sweetheart alarm clock, both of which I miss terribly! Deb said that maybe it was something to do with my electric, so I'm going to try to give National Grid a call tomorrow.

The Sweetheart alarm clock, you ask? This was a very special present from my dad for graduation. As many of you already know, I am an extremely deep sleeper. I've slept through an earthquake, 3/4 of a final (Spanish I), a car ride to Florida (14 out of 16 hours!), and a fire alarm (turns out it wasn't a drill, and I was in charge of the building... thank goodness it was only a flood and not a fire). I usually wake up when I know it's critical that I'm not late, but, as you see, not all of the time (e.g. the Spanish final). The Sonic Boom Sweetheart Alarm Clock not only has a volume level of 113 decibels, but it comes with a 12V vibrator that shakes the bed. The instructions tell you to put in under your matress, but I've been putting it next to my pillow. There is no sleeping when that beast is going off, let me tell you!


Here is the mission statement of Silent Cell Communications, the company that sells the alarm clock:'

"At Silent Cell Communications our mission is to provide the utmost in reliability and usability available in personal communications and life-enhancing systems for the deaf, the hard of hearing, and those who are out of hearing range."

Thank goodness there are companies that manufacture products for people like me! :)

Stay tuned for more this weekend... coupons, woman vs. IKEA furniture, exploring RI, and more! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment