Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Laughing Out Loud

Hope your week is off to a great start!

My Mom and Dad went to see David Cook in concert on Sunday at the Murat Theater in Indy. According to Mike, it sounds (no pun intended) like the concert was outstanding. My dad actually works with David Cook's uncle, so they had passes to go backstage! I saw David Cook with my parents last fall when the American Idol tour went through Indy. Even if you didn't watch the show, the concert was very entertaining. Here are some pictures that my Dad sent me from Sunday night...
The Murat looks beautiful when it's lit up at night
David Cook up close and personal
Dad said that David Cook told him it was the first drum head he had ever signed! Yeah for firsts!


I've been reminiscing (that makes me seem old, but I still feel like it's the right word to use) about pharmacy school over the past several days. I know, recounting memories of studying doesn't sound like anything to write about, but I have so many funny stories and situations that happened because of pharmacy school. This all started when I was studying for the NAPLEX (ugh, so ready to get that over and done!) on Sunday night in Chapter 28 of the APhA Review Book- Asthma and COPD. In every chapter they have a section on drug management (duh) with all of the different classes of medications. I about spit my Diet Coke out of my nose when I came to theophylline... Why, you ask? Keep reading...
We are required to take 6 credit hours of pharmacokinetics- one class (3 credits) in the spring of our fourth year, one class in the fall of our fifth year. Let's just say that this was exactly the most riveting of all of the courses I took while I was at Purdue. It didn't help that the class was fairly early (for me, that's before 10:30 AM), the room was dimly lit and warm (why do they make it hard to stay awake?), and there was always a stack of newspapers close by (I miss The Exponent!). (For any Purdue alum, the room I'm describing in the big lecture hall in the Electrical Engineering building, at least I think that was the building. Pharmacy grads- can you confirm this?) In other words, I didn't make it to every single class (oops! Sorry Dr G!). Anyways, during the class we studied a variety of drugs with specific kinetic properties that required them to do dosed and monitored based on blood levels. Some examples include lithium, aminoglycosides, phenytoin, and, you guessed it, theophylline! The bulk of our exams were problem-based (except for those ATROCIOUS graphs that he made us try to draw- I hated those until Chelsea taught me how to figure them out for the most past), which would often include coming up with recommended dosing regimens based on a patient's body weight, the drug distribution, and other parameters. During one of our exams, I was having an awful time figuring out a dosing schedule for theophylline that a doctor had theoretically requested. I played with equations to solve the problem for say, 20 minutes or so (that's a huge chunk of a 2 hour exam!), but still couldn't get the milligrams to even be close to one of the available strengths of the medications. So, reluctantly, I raised my right hand for some help. Dr. G came right over, and I told him that I just could not get this theophylline problem to work out! He said, "Sarah (yes, he knew my name), what would you tell the physician if you couldn't get the theophylline dosing to work in a real-life situation?" Without hesitating for a second (aka no filter), I replied, "I would tell him not to use theophylline. It's an awful drug" I think it took all of his energy not to laugh out loud. He smiled, shook his head, and walked away.

And that is why, to this day, whenever I read something about theophylline or fill a script for it, I still laugh out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment