Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Don't Quote Me on This

I'm not sure when it started, but a long time ago, I started collecting quotes, short stories, and poems. The first memory I have from writing in one is from my junior year in high school. I was sitting by Shannon in our chemistry class, and, being the busy-body that I am, was copying quotes into my journal during some down time. I told her that I liked all of these quotes from Anon, but I had never heard of the author before and asked if she knew who it was. She just looked at me in disbelief when she told me that Anon meant "anonymous"... We were laughing so hard we were crying! When I look back at my first journal, I still laugh when I see where I wrote "Anon" like it was a proper name. Take a look at this.......




Above: A page from one of my earlier journals- a notebook my dad's parents got me for my birthday one year.

It is such a joy to look through my journals (seven of them now!) and be reminded of all of the amazing things I've participated in, people I've met, stories I've been told. I thought I'd share some of my favorites with you. If I get a source wrong, please feel free to correct me! Hope you like these half as much as I do...

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" -unknown

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh, and the greatest which does not bow before children." -Khalil Gibran

"If the wind will not serve, take the oars." -Latin Proverb

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter do not mind, and those that matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

"When your heart speaks, take good notes." -unknown

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it." -John Ruskin

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." -Emerson

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

"Go over, go under go around, or go through. But never give up." -unknown

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I have learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment, and making the most of it, without knowing what's going to happen next." -Gilda Ratner

So, I realized that there are a lot more that I want to share with you, but I would be up all night! (I am learning how to give immunizations tomorrow--probably something I should be alert and awake during.) I'll try to include a few every once in a while. If you every need a quote for a specific situation, let me know, and I just might be able to help you out. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. My favorite parenting quote " what you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your blog very much Sarah!!
    Here's a good one I'm sure you've heard:
    "The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it"
    Henry David Thoreau

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good one for you!!:
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"
    Maya Angelou

    ReplyDelete